Silverton School Educational Museum

Silverton School Educational Museum

The unexpectedly delightful Silverton School Educational Museum in the middle of the outback began life in 1884 as a tent! The current stone structure was built in 1888, after much encouragement by one of its early (now famous) teachers: Dame Mary Gilmore.

Today the one-room educational museum is set up as a classroom to show education through past eras with lots of old books, photos and maps as well as articles on the historic Silverton township and surrounding area.

If you remember writing with pen dipped in ink wells or even board and a slate ‘pencil’, a visit may just trigger wonderful memories.

Further Information

Loftus Street

9:30am – 3:30pm ACST

Closed Tuesdays and Sundays

Cash only

Adult $3, child $1, family (2 adults and two school-age children) $8

Contact coordinator Marlene Bettes to make a booking

Broken Hill Historical Society

The School Museum is run by the Broken Hill Historical Society. More information about this, and their other museums can be found at: