The Silverton War Memorial Youth Camp
For bookings contact Peter Price
Phone: 08 80885313 between 9am and 4pm, Mon – Fri
Not just for kids, the Silverton War Memorial Youth Camp, affectionately known as “the Youth Camp”, offers groups of all sizes the chance to live amongst the rich history of Silverton.
The building was originally opened as a courthouse. Silverton’s first session of the District Court was held in 1887 in the then, very cramped, Warden’s Office. The local Police Magistrate had handled the legal duties up until that point, with the help of local Justices of the Peace. As the Warden’s Office proved small and insufficient, cases were then heard at roomier venues such as Duchatel’s Exchange Hotel until the Courthouse was built in 1889.
With the towns’ court, police station and gaol falling into disuse as the population declined, the Courthouse was converted into the War Memorial Youth Camp in 1948 – displaying an honour role listing the names of Silverton’s World War ll servicemen.
From that point on cases were heard in roomier venues such as Duchatel’s Exchange Hotel until the Court House was built in 1889.
With the town’s court, police station and gaol falling into disuse as the population shrank, the Court House was converted into the War Memorial Youth Camp in 1948 – displaying an honour role bearing the names of Silverton’s World War II servicemen.
Today, “the Youth Camp” offers dormitory–style accommodation for up to 50 people at a time.
• The building comprises 7 rooms, all with bunk beds. All campers need to bring are a sleeping bag or other bedding, toiletries and personal needs.
• Male and female showers and toilets are available in a tidy ablutions block.
• There is a large kitchen with large gas stove, refrigerator, freezer, cooking utensils, microwaves, cutlery and crockery.
• There is a covered BBQ area at the rear of “the Youth Camp”.
• The hall (the old courtroom) has chairs and fold-up tables and can be set up as a dining room or used for activities.
Hiring the Youth Camp
The Youth Camp” is ideal for weddings, parties, school and university groups, functions, meetings etc and can be hired without accommodation if necessary ($300 per day)
“The Youth Camp” is managed by the Silverton Village Committee Inc. as a Crown Reserve Trust. Staying at the camp costs $20 per head, per night, with a minimum cost of $200 per night.
To Book the Silverton War Memorial Youth Camp please download our booking form which contains our terms & Conditions of Hire.